1) Download the Answernet OpenVPN and Configuration installer
For Windows Installer.
For Configuration files all OS's.
For the old install instructions click here.
If you have the old Answernet VPN client installed it is recommended that you uninstall it and the Windows Tap as well. Reboot and delete the old OpenVPN folder from both "C:\Program files\" and "C:\Program files <x86>\" before attempting to install the new version.
1) The OpenVPN client must be installed under an Administrator user. All screen shots are from Windows 10. Right click on the installer and select Run as Administrator.
2) Click "Yes" on UAC windows to give Administrator access.
3) Select the "English" and click "OK"
4) To start the Install process click "Next".
5) The installation begins first we need to agree to the License click "Agree" to continue.
6) Select "Install for all Users". This will allow all users the ability to use OpenVPN then click "Next" to continue.
7) The default installer folder is fine. Click "Next" to continue.
8) Select "Management" so the user will be able to configure, setup, and manage there connection. Then click "Next" to continue.
9) Select the TAP object.
10) Pick "Entire feature will be install on local hard drive" from the list.
11) Installation of the OpenVPN software is complete click "Finish".
12) Now we need to save the configuration so we can setup the connection.
13) Extract All the files.
14) Save it into a folder out of the way just note where you save the config files as you will need them.
15) Now we need to start the Securepoint OpenVPN clien to finish up the setup.
16) Find the padlock icon and double-click on it. The first time it runs it will pop up a dialog box making a note about code length.
17) Put a check in "Close and don't show again" and it will load the VPN list box.
18) Click on the sprocket icon to pull up Configuration menu.
19) Select "Import" from the menu.
20) Click the "..." under Source File: to select the configuration file.
21) Select the .opvn files from the configuration files we saved in step 14.
22) Saving as filename should be fine unless you want to give it a pretty name.
23) We are now going to attempt to connect using the users username and password to connect ot OpenVPN. To do this click on the icon next to the connection name.
24) Enter a username for testing if you know the users username and password I would enter it and click "Save data" to store the password.
25) Enter the password and save if appropriate.
26) It will take a few min to attempt to connection then give you an error message.
27) It will ask you to install a TAP device and resets all the connections.
28) Click "ok" to finish the install.
29) You should now be connected.
30) Now lets make a few changes in the "Client settings".
31) We are going to put a check in "Start on windows startup" and "Popup on startup" click Back to save changes. This is a good time to reboot to confirm it will auto load upon reboot.
32) One note on first reboot all the menus will display in German. This is a known bug another reboot should fix the issue.
33) To reopen the box right click on the Padlock and select "Show window".